Recently Mr Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji of NEXT NEWSPAPERS interviewed the President of I-PID, HON. AKINYEMI OLUSEGUN FASAKIN on the activites of I-PID.Below is an excerpt from the Interview.
OUESTION: CAN WE MEET AND KNOW YOU.
Akinyemi Olusegun Fasakin is my name, I was born at Wesley Guild Hospital (Ile Olokuta) in Ilesa, My father Chief Gabriel A. Fasakin (Tayese of Ibala-Ijesa) told me we have our roots at Iwara-Ijesa while my mother, Iya -Afin Comfort O. Fasakin (nee Ojofeitimi) has her root at Ijaregbe, both my parents are from Ijesaland, and I thank God both are still living today. I have two younger brothers and two younger sisters. I did my elementary school at Holy Trinity Primary school "A’ and "B’ (as it was then called) and later proceeded to Ilesa Grammar School for my Secondary and HSC education. I graduated from University of Ife now Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife in 1988 and had my post graduate education in Health Planning and Management at University of Maiduguri, all in Nigeria. I worked for Population Activities Fund Agency (PAFA) A World Bank Agency for 8 years before leaving for Canada in December of 1999. I relocated from Toronto,Canada to Chicago in 2003 and since then, I have been living and working in Chicago. I am a family man, blessed with three beautiful and loving daughters.
@QUESTION : It has just come to our notice that, you are the brain behind the formation of Ijesa People in Diaspora Organization, what inform this initiative
ANSWER:: Ijesa People In Diaspora started with about 12 young professionals of like minds most of whom are my friends exchanging ideas on the popular website FACE BOOK. Our discussions were varied and the issue of developing Ijesaland and improving the lot of our people back home was a favorite topic. The majority of whom are successful sons and daughters of Ijesa land with exposure to the western world and progressive in their outlook. Through our interaction on Face Book I perceived their passion, love, and loyalty for Ijesaland. Unlike the people back home we do not see ourselves as someone from, Ibokun, Ibala, Ijeda or Iperindo, there is nothing like Ijesa North or South, we deal with each other as OBOKUN's children all over the world, (check our website www.ijesapeopleindiaspora.org) with the common goal of ensuring progress and growth for every part of Ijesaland, take a look at Lagosians in diasporas, you will see that they have been able to achieve a lot by uniting instead of grouping themselves as indigenes of different towns in Lagos; Ikorodu, Epe or Ikeja. It was during one of that interaction that I came up with the idea of bringing together from all over the world all progressive Ijesa people to work towards developing our motherland. My passion about matters concerning Ijesa' growth and development is a common knowledge amongst those who know me. Right from my University days, I was the General Secretary of Federation of Ijesa Student’s Union at Unife. I thank God for using me to assist my kinsmen while I was at PAFA and also in Canada I worked tirelessly together with elders like Mr & Mrs Biodun Ige, Hon. Gbolahan Olawale, the newly elected President of Ijesa Progressive Association Canada, Ayo Ojiwusi, Alex Fadipe and Mr Roland Kolusade who is now I-PID Vice President for North America Canada zone to consolidate the Association before relocating to USA.
At the local level here in Chicago, for the past four years, I have been the General Secretary of Ijesa Advancement Association, while I hold the post of Public Relation Officer (PRO) for the National Council of Egbe Omo Obokun of Ijesaland in NorthAmerica.
QUESTION : What are the Objectives and Goals of Ijesa People In Diaspora Organization (I-PID)?
ANSWER
First let me clarify the fact that I-PID is not created to rival or replace other Ijesa Associations anywhere in the world, as matter of fact, you can only be a good member of I-PID by being an active member of your local organization. Using myself as an example I am currently the Executive President of this new vibrant and solid Organization which as of today boast of over four hundred membership and is still growing, yet I also serve as the General Secretary of Chicago Chapter of Egbe Omo Obokun of Ijesaland presided over by a very hardworking President who is also the Chairman of National Council of Egbe Omo Obokun of Ijesland in North America, in person of Mr Olushola Alabi. So also, the Vice President for North America, Canada zone, Hon. Roland Kolusade is presently the Vice President of Ijesa Association in Canada.
The Objective of I-PID includes but not limited to the following:
To embark on programs that will create and promote unity among all people of Ijesa descent all over the World and work towards the development of Ijesaland as a whole.
To promote progress and harmony among all people of Ijesa Origin wherever they may be in the face of the Earth
To engage in any and all other activities which will directly or indirectly improve the welfare and economic conditions of the Ijesa people
To promote and advance the common interest and welfare of ijesa people in diaspora in any country they may be residing
To collaborate with World /International Donor Organizations in the development of Ijesaland.
What made I-PID different is that we are a group of law-abiding of Ijesa descent, who seek the general welfare of our members, uphold, cherish and nurture our cultural heritage, create cordial relationships among all people of Ijesa descent as well as other Nigerian ethnic groups and develop good citizenry in the communities of our domicile.
QUESTION : WHO ARE THE EXECUTIVES AND HOW DO YOU HOLD YOUR MEETINGS, KNOWING FULLY WELL THAT MEBERS ARE CUT ACROSS THE GLOBE:
ANSWER:
Thank you, presently we have 13 officers in the interim managing the affairs of the organization pending the time sometimes next year when we would have an election at the Annual International Conference meeting, the venue is yet to be decided. By the grace of God, I am the Executive President; the Deputy President is Mrs. Olapeju Akingbade she resides in London, we have 5 Vice Presidents they are; Otunba Kenny Aluko for Europe, he lives in London, Mrs. Adeola Atayero- Olamijulo, Vice President for Australia, Mr. Goke Kolusade, Vice President for North America, Canada zone, he resides in Toronto, Engineer Titus Olowookere, Vice President for North America, USA zone based in Atlanta, Engineer, Dideolu Falobi Vice President for Africa, he resides in Lagos , Mr. Dimeji Kayode -Adedeji (Lagos, Nigeria) is the Director for Public Relations, Mr. Isaac Fabelurin (London, UK) is the Director for International Operations, the Director of Accounts and Finance is Mr. Toyin Keshinro (Houston Texas) , Mrs. Florencia Abimbola Abiodun who resides in Spain is the Director of Social , Engineer, Samuel Famurewa (Chicago, USA), Project & Programs Consultant, while Ms. Olaoluwa Biodun Sangodeyi (Chicago, USA) is the Executive Secretary, all these proud Ijesa sons and daughters have been doing a wonderful job and very soon, people back home will be impacted by our activities.
On the issue of how we hold our meeting, (allow me to digress a bit) As you are well aware of Ijesas are very unique people, Mr. Alabi, the President in Chicago during last year’s OBOKUN DAY reminded the attendees at the event how Ijesas pioneered the, revolutionary idea of installment payments for merchandise long before the British introduced hire purchase system and well before Americans introduced car notes and Mortgage payments. We, Ijesas contributed Osoomalo trading system with its principles of installment payment to World economy. Like true pedigrees of our forefathers, we have also put our ingenuity to use, and we are presently developing what we call ‘Phone Tree’ technology which can accommodate up to 1000 people to ‘meet’ on Telephone Conference. We adapted this at our first Executive meeting, despite our various locations we had a successful First Executive Council meeting with many non-executive members joining in as observers. We hope to continue to use this technology to ‘meet’ until sometimes next year in summer when we shall hold our first International Conference/seminar meeting either in USA or UK or as it may be decided by the Executives council and Board of Trustees. (BOT)
QUESTION :Can you tell us how you and others members finance the organization?
ANSWER
At present, we are been sponsored by a member who identified with the goal and objectives of the Association. Our website (www.ijesapeopleindiaspora.org) for instance is paid for and is being run free of charge by one of the Executive members. Thank God we have also contacted some corporate organizations that have promised to be the there for us. Presently, the membership is free and we don’t intend to charge any membership dues to join the Organization. Perhaps in future when we have proven ourselves as a worthwhile Organization promoting the growth and development of Ijesas we would have people donating voluntarily to the Organization. We do have souvenirs and other items which can be purchased online, also groups, corporations can advertise on our website, all of these would generate funds for the Organization.
I am also happy to tell you as I am talking to you right now, a four-man Constitution Review Committee headed by Mr Shola Muyie , a brilliant scholar and an expert in Non-For Profit Organziation's and Fund Raising activities from Boston, USA is presently working on how to put I-PID on sound financial stand.From the little I have been privileged to see from their report, they are doing a fantastic job and when their report is finally submitted and make public, many who have been waiting to see what we are up to will no doubt conclude that this time around, we have serious people on board who are not out to form 'Owambe' Organization but a serious one that will contribute to the development of Ijesaland and her people.
OUESTION :What do you think of the formation of Ijesa North Traditional Council
lANSWER
Humm, that's a very good question, yes, we used to have only Ijesaland Traditional Council headed by His Royal Majesty, Owa Obokun Adimula of Ijesaland. I know some people are confused, some think it is a way of dividing Ijesaland, some even said it is a rejection of Owa Obokun's Supremacy in Ijesaland. I disagree and I want to let my people know that despite the creation of this council which as far as I know is even good for us, Ijesaland is one. Nobody can doubt the undisputable enviable position of Owa Obokun Adimula in Ijesaland and in Yorubaland. I have the honored of clarifying this with his His Royal Highness, Oba Oladele Olashore, Aloko of Iloko-Ijesaland when he came on a visit to Chicago, I asked Kabiyesi at the reception hosted by the Ijesas in Chicago, the reason for the creation and its implication for the unity of Ijesaland. His Highness told us that it is for administrative purposes and that Ijesaland stand to gain more by the creation of this new Council, We even learnt from Oba Olashore that, His Majesty, Oba Adekunle Aromolaran once attended one of the meeting of this newly formed Council to show his support and to call for unity in Ijesaland.
QUESTION : WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR IJESAS BOTH HOME AND ABROAD?
My brother, I wish we would unite as one. Yes! we are hardworking, frank and fearless, but as long as we are divided, we would continue to be minority when we are suppose to be majority. In Osun state we have the largest number of local governments, which is supposed to be to our advantage. Rivalry is okay so long as it is healthy and it brings development to Ijesaland. Just recently we got so agitated over the issue of Ijesa or Oduduwa State. To the best of my knowledge the issue wasn’t which of the State to be created, instead the wrangling was over which city would be made the headquarter of the new state, be it Ijesa or Oduduwa? Funny enough here in USA, they don’t make their large city to be the Headquarters of their States, for instance Chicago is five times bigger than Osogbo and Chicago is not the Capital of Illinois State, Springfield, a small town outside Chicago is the capital, Los Angeles is not the Capital of California State but Sacramento, small town on the outskirt of LA, same with Wisconsin State. Wherever the capital is located In Ijesaland does not really matter let us just ensure the creation of either Ijesa or Oduduwa State (if they like let them call the new state Ile-Ife state) but let us work together to make sure the Headquaters is in Ijesaland. Whether the capital is located at Ilesa or at Ijeregbe, Ipetu-Ijesa, Ipole or Itagumodi, tell me which part of Ijesaland will feel not the impact?. My major concern is the development of Ijesaland and improved quality of life for people at home. We should concentrate our efforts in saying and doing things that bind us together rather than those things that divide us. In the word of the Vice President for Africa, Engineer Dideolu Falobi, if we could come to together to make Ijesaland the Industrial base of Osun State "all other good things shall be added to us" Let us follow the example of some indigene of Ere-Ijesa, a retired woman who despite her age and access to the best of free health care in London where she and her husband resides, because she love her town and her people, I was told she would move from one hospital to another collecting new but unused blood pressure machines and other health equipment from various London city hospitals whenever she is on visit to London for the only clinic in Ere- Ijesa. Dr. Aladekomo is another man in that town who many do not even know he is an Ijesa man but who has contributed to the development of that great town, Ere-Ijesa or can anyone rival the passion and love Professor Oyewale Tomori, Vice Chancellor of Redeem University has for Ijesaland?
One of the best private schools and Hotels in Nigeria today are in Iloko-Ijesa, the only functioning private stock quoted industry in Osun State today, International Breweries (IBL) is in Ilesa...all to the glory of Ijesaland and we can still do better. Let us as an individual or group wherever we maybe try our best to make Ijesaland, a land of our dream, we have the people and the resources.
God Bless Ijesaland and our people.
Great! I love this.
ReplyDelete